Where does the software go?

From: George Lin <george.lin_at_documentum.com>
Date: Mon Mar 17 19:48:39 1997

At 01:34 PM 3/17/97 +0500, you wrote:
>George,
>
> That's interesting....how did you get the PC to actually handle the
>transfer to the floppy drive? What did you do in modifying a cable for the
>connection? It certainly would come in handy when one is FTPing programs off
>of the net and wants to transfer them to the C= 8bit machines!

Jeff,

I think a lot of us collect old machines not for the sake of collecting
them but for the sake of actually running them. For me, running the old
software and reading the old manuals let me relive my childhood days--the
closest thing to riding in a time machine. However, you just don't find
old software in thrift stores. But as you know, the net has an abundant
supply of old software. How do you transfer them to your old machines?
The method and utility software varies with different systems. For C64, I
use an excellent utility called Star Commander by Joe Forster. You can
download it at this URL:
ftp://ftp.seattlelab.com/UTILS/sc073.zip

Star Commander runs on your PC. You need a custom made cable to connect
the 1541 to your PC's serial port. Star Commander's help file has the
information on how to make the cable yourself. Once everything is
connected and Star Commander is properly configured, you will see your PC's
hard disk on one side and the 1541 directory listing on the other. You can
copy or move files back and forth. It works just like Norton Commander.
You can even format a C64 disk in the 1541! Star Commander can also create
a real C64 disk from the tons of C64 disk images on the net. Disk images
are primarily useful for people who play with computer emulators. But with
the help of Star Commander, we can take advantage of them too.

George
--
George Lin                           "Accelerating your business through
Network Architect, MIS                   enterprise document managment."