Where does the software go?

From: Mr. Self Destruct <more_at_camlaw.rutgers.edu>
Date: Wed Mar 19 00:49:24 1997

OK, some things about Little Red Reader:
[a program for the commodore 64/128 that lets you read PC disks]

LRR was originally made for the C128 and a 1571 [DS/DD drive].
A 64 version [which requires a 1571 drive] supposedly exists,
but I cannot vouch for that as I own a 128. The program basically
reprograms the 1571 [or 1581] to allow it to read/write MFM format
disks [in this case IBM] The program will read and write 360k IBM
format on a 1571 and 720k on a 1581. Yes, the program can "go
both ways", that is, it can copy CBM to IBM and the reverse as well.

As for reading MFM format disks on a 1541, this is generally thought
to be impossible because the 1541 only reads GCR format disks, not MFM.
BUT!!!!!! There is a hardware modification and a companion program
that does allow one to copy a PC format disk. Ask somone on the
newsgroup where to find it though, as its wherabouts has slipped my mind.

ALSO, besides the X1541 procedure, there is another hardwrae mod for a
PC type drive that enables it to read commodre disks. Please dont ask
me specififcs, I really dont know how this was/is accomplished.

Hope this clarifies things!

  MM