Zenith Z386-20

From: hellige <jeffh_at_eleventh.com>
Date: Mon Mar 17 23:33:42 1997

On 19-Mar-97, classiccmp_at_u.washington.edu wrote:

> Upon turning the unit on, I get (if I recall - it doesn't stay very long
>on the screen):
> Bad CMOS configuration blah blah yada yada
> Then the screen goes blank and the system just sits there, fans spinning.
> I have some questions about the unit I figure I'd through out here before
>going to alt.folklore.computers.

   If the 386 BIOS goes by the same keystrokes and such as the Z-248 '286
BIOS, you should hit Ctrl-Alt-INSERT as the machine powers up to access the
built-in BIOS setup.

>1. It doesn't seem to even look at the keyboard. Do Zeniths use
> a proprietary keyboard, or is the POST routine not getting past
> the bad CMOS?

   No, Zenith systems do not use a non-standard keyboard. It sounds likely
that it may not be getting that far.

>2. The computer itself has a daughter board that contains the
> ROMs, a SmartBattery (DALLAS - DS1260-100 / 9816 / 3V
> Lithium battery), an Intel 8742 (Universal Peripheral Interface
> 8-bit Slave uController) and other neat features (the 8 LEDs
> are a nice touch). The Smart battery can be removed, but I'm
> wondering if it's a common item and is easily replaced.

   If you remove the cover and watch the 8 LED's, you'll be able to watch them
progress from all dark, to all lit up as each POST test is completed. I know
on some Z-248's I've seen, there are even little captions silkscreened on the
board next to the LED so that you can tell which part of the test it's on. On
the Z-248 though, the LED's are on the main backplane board, on which the
processor, memory, I/O, diskcontroller, and any other board, plugs into.

   Hope this helps at least a little. All of my experiece is with the 286
powered Z-248, but hopefully at least some of it will help you out.

   Jeff jeffh_at_eleventh.com
   //  Amiga: The computer for the creative mind...since 1985!
\//   True 32bit pre-emptive multitasking GUI, plug&play hardware,
\/      stereo sound, and 4096 color video modes since day #1
   Collector of classic home computers:
   Amiga 1000, Atari 800, Atari 800XL, Atari Mega-ST/2, Commodore
   C-128, Commodore Plus/4, Commodore VIC-20, Kaypro 2X, Mattel
   Aquarius, Osbourne Executive, Sinclair ZX-81, TI-99/4A, Timex-
   Sinclair 1000, TRS-80 Color Computer-3, and a TRS-80 Model 4.
   Plus Atari SuperPong and Atari 2600VCS game consoles.