Regular Posting: FAQ

From: Bill Whitson <bill_at_booster.bothell.washington.edu>
Date: Fri Mar 21 17:20:46 1997

ClassicCmp - The Classic Computers Discussion List
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) v1.0

1.1 What is ClassicCmp?
1.2 Why is ClassicCmp?
1.3 What's a Classic Computer?
1.4 Who runs this thing?
1.5 Don't you know you're duplicating what others have done?

2.1 What can I talk about?
2.2 Can I talk about PCs?
2.3 Can I talk about Mini/MainFrames?
2.4 Can I post advertisments?
2.5 Can I ask people to give me their computers?
2.6 Can I ask for help fixing item x?
2.7 Where should I look before posting a dumb question?

3.1 How many subscribers are there?
3.2 How many subscribers use machine x?

4.1 Does ClassicCmp have a Web Site?
4.2 How come the Web Site is so ugly?

5.1 Where can I find Classic Computers?
5.2 How much is machine x worth?
5.3 Will 1000's of innocent machines be scrapped if I don't save them?

1.1 What is ClassicCmp?

It's a mailing list for the discussion of classic computers. Topics
center on collection (just hoarding), restoration, and operation.
It is also an appropriate place for stories and reminiscences of
classic computers.

1.2 Why is ClassicCmp?

Uh, why not? There are lots of people who love these old machines
and it seems like a fun idea to get together and talk about them.

1.3 What is a Classic Computer?

Any computer that has not been manufactured for 10 years is a classic.
This definition is one I made up and it's entirely arbitrary. It
seems to work OK, so I've kept it.

1.4 Who runs this thing?

That would be me, Bill Whitson. I'm a network administrator at the
University of Washington. This is one of my hobbies and I got tired
of waiting for someone else to create a list like this. I can be
reached at bcw_at_u.washington.edu.

1.5 Do you know you're just duplicating work other people have done.

Damn straight. That's what the internet's all about.

2.1 What can I talk about?

Anything related to classic computers as defined above. There are
many people on this list that really know what they're talking
about, so you might want to check facts before you start shooting
off messages.

2.2 Can I talk about PCs?

Yes. PCs which haven't been manufactured for 10 years. Even then
be aware that in many cases you would get a better response posting
to PC newsgroups.

2.3 Can I talk about Minis/MainFrames?

Yep. Lots of bulky computer folks here.

2.4 Can I post advertisements?

Sure. As long as they're related to _classic_ computers. And, of
course, use your brain - don't post repeatedly.

2.5 Can I ask people to sell/give me their computers?

Sure. But you're not likely to get a very nice response. Mine,
for example, would be: Get your own f***ing computer! There
are several people on usenet who will vouch for this.

2.6 Can I ask for help fixing item x.

Yes. Be aware that it may be difficult to help you fix things
if you don't have much knowledge of how computers work or of
how to use basic electronics tools (DMM, soldering iron, EPROM
burner, etc).

2.7 Where can I look before posting a dumb question?

It might be a good idea to take a look at what's available
in the Archive section of the ClassicCmp web site (see below).

3.1 How many subscribers are there?

Around 200, fluxing daily.

3.2 How many subscribers use machine x?

Don't bother asking me. If you really want to know go ahead
and post to the list. I really don't know what having a
number will do for you...

4.1 Does ClassicCmp have a web site?

Yep. http://weber.u.washington.edu/~bcw/ccl.html

4.2 How come the web site is so ugly?

How come a PET is so ugly? Who cares as long as it works?

5.1 Where can I find classic computers?

The best places seem to be thrift stores and swap meets. These
are closely followed by pawn shops and mom and pop computer stores.
The holy grails are electronics scrap yards - but they tend to be
wary of individual pick-and-choosers. Oh yeah - garage sales!

5.2 How much is machine x worth?

Precisely as much as you'll pay for it. Oh, you're selling it?
Then , precisely as much as I'll pay for it.

5.3 Will 1000's of innocent machines be scrapped if I don't save them?

Yes. This is the impetus behind every collectors tireless and
selfless effort. Each machine we fail to save has it's gold
parts mercilessly hacked off and sold (just like rhino horns - and
look at the rhinos). The remainder is then sent to China to be
made into bicycle spokes. Save a computer! Act now! Remind
you wife of the rhino and cuter, furrier animals. It might work.