The return of the 'Mark-8'

From: Jim Willing <jimw_at_agora.rdrop.com>
Date: Tue Mar 25 01:25:33 1997

(Attempting not to drop into 'blatant advertising' mode... B^} )

In preparation for an exhibit of 'Classic Computers' that I am working on
with other local collectors and the Oregon Museum of Science and History
(OMSI - http://www.omsi.edu) to be presented this November, we are planning
to reconstruct (at least one) functioning 'Mark-8' microcomputer as
originally presented in a construction article in the July 1974 edition of
'Radio-Electronics' magazine. (predating the presentation of the 'Altair'
construction project in a competing magazine by six months)

Briefly for those not familiar with the unit, the 'Mark-8' (referred to as
a "minicomputer" in the original article) is an Intel 8008 microprocessor
based unit with a clock speed of 500kHz and a maximum addresing range of 16kb.

The unit as implemented in this project features a full 'programmers' front
panel, and is constructed on six double sided circuit boards which comprise
the CPU board, parallel data input and output boards, display board,
address latch and memory boards.

The reconstruction as I will be implementing it will add a seventh board to
stand in for the original memory board which was designed for 1101 static
RAM chips which are no longer available in any quantity. The revised
memory board will substitute 2102 static RAM chips which are readily
available.

(Note: there is a possibility that we may just update the existing memory
board layout to allow the use of either RAM chip, but we are not quite that
far along as yet)

To help defer the costs of having the circuit boards made, we are offering
sets of the boards to interested parties at our cost. Currently, with the
minimum run of boards to make this project practical (6 sets) the cost per
set stands at $200.00US. Four sets are currently spoken for. To get this
rolling, we at least to find people interested in the other two board sets,
and if more people are interested we can get the price per set down even
further.

(or if someone out there works for a PC board house???)

And, since someone will no doubt ask... Yes, we do have a source for the
Intel 8008 microprocessors. The quantities are limited however, and the
current price for the microprocessor is $200.00US.

All other required parts to construct this unit are readily available
through stardard sources.

Also, through the kindness of the management of Gernsback Publications
(publisher of 'Radio-Electronics' and other related publications) we can
provide reprints of the original construction article and documentation set
for the 'Mark-8' project to anyone who purchases one of the board sets.
(with updates for the revised memory board)

If anyone is interested in joining us on this classic adventure or has any
questions, please feel free to contact me.

Thanks!
-jim

---
jimw_at_agora.rdrop.com