Rubber keypad repair

From: Russ Blakeman <>
Date: Sat May 16 23:03:15 1998

Max Eskin wrote:

> This is semi-OT, but computers had these too (PDP-11 panel?)
> These are composed of a sheet of rubber with buttons stamped into
> it. On the other side of the sheet are black pieces of metal. After
> a while, these keypads start to wear out, and require more pressure
> or multiple tries. How can I fix this?

If you can get to the contacts, there's two ways...

One is to rubber cement tinfoil on in place of the old contacts (s)
The other is to get a ruber contact repair kit which allows you to
recoat the carbon coating. MCM Electronics has this.

The above works for rubber keys on telephones, video game controllers
and more,
 Russ Blakeman
     RB Custom Services / Rt. 1 Box 62E / Harned, KY USA 40144
        Phone: (502) 756-1749 Data/Fax:(502) 756-6991
         Email: or
                           ICQ UIN #1714857
                AOL Instant Messenger "RHBLAKEMAN"
       * Parts/Service/Upgrades and more for MOST Computers*
Received on Sat May 16 1998 - 23:03:15 BST

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.0 : Fri Oct 10 2014 - 23:31:12 BST