Williams Tube memory, Selectron question, and Charactron

From: CLASSICCMP_at_trailing-edge.com <(CLASSICCMP_at_trailing-edge.com)>
Date: Sun Aug 15 16:06:37 1999

Eric Smith wrote:
>William Donzelli <aw288_at_osfn.org> wrote:
>> The lights ("blinkenlights") on some early machines (and even a few not
>> so early machines) were tiny tubes, as well. A bit more simple than a CRT...
>Yes, but those weren't particularly "bizarre". They were just common
>incandescent bulbs.

I've seen scientific and computer equipment from the 60's and 70's using
a variety of "tubes" as indicator devices, everything from simple neon
bulbs to decatron counters and storage CRT's.

One might argue that a neon bulb or a decatron isn't properly a "tube"
(they certainly aren't "valves" because they don't have a control grid
like a triode), but they are non-linear devices that are capable of
storing (and displaying) state information and performing simple logic

Question for the UKer's: is a tube rectifier (no control grid, just
an anode and a cathode) called a "valve"? Is a voltage regulator tube (like
the venerable OA2) called a "valve"?

 Tim Shoppa                        Email: shoppa_at_trailing-edge.com
 Trailing Edge Technology          WWW:   http://www.trailing-edge.com/
 7328 Bradley Blvd		   Voice: 301-767-5917
 Bethesda, MD, USA 20817           Fax:   301-767-5927
Received on Sun Aug 15 1999 - 16:06:37 BST

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.0 : Fri Oct 10 2014 - 23:31:49 BST