OT: Re: Last call, Teledisk Pro group buy

From: Roger Merchberger <zmerch_at_30below.com>
Date: Mon Mar 1 00:01:54 1999

On or about 07:05 AM 2/27/99 -0800, Bruce Lane was caught in a dark alley
speaking these words:

[snip]

> The current version runs under DOS, or under a DOS window in W95 or NT
>Workstation. One caveat: Since it is possible that the program makes direct
>hardware calls to the floppy drive, it may not perform as it should under
>NT, thanks to NT's security features. Other than that, I know of no problems.

The reason it won't work with NT is not because of NT's security (which is
better than Win9x, but that ain't saying much... ;-/ ) but because of NT's
"hardware abstraction layer."

This layer doesn't allow any proggie to take absolute control of any piece
of hardware, so it will "play nice" with other programs in a multi-tasking
environment.

To try to bring this on-topic a bit, this is the same reason the CoCo
emulators won't run under NT - not only the floppy drive problem, but also
the emulators take total control of the video to emulate the CoCo[2-3]
screen - this gives NT heartburn as well.

Just thought you'd like to know.

Roger "Merch" Merchberger
=====
Roger "Merch" Merchberger -- zmerch_at_30below.com
SysAdmin - Iceberg Computers
===== Merch's Wild Wisdom of the Moment: =====
Sometimes you know, you just don't know sometimes, you know?