Reading old SCSI tapes

From: John Foust <jfoust_at_threedee.com>
Date: Thu Mar 4 17:13:32 1999

At 10:46 PM 3/4/99 +0000, Mark wrote:

>Somewhat on-topic question: can someone recommend a program, to run under
>MS-DOS (or maybe Windows) that is capable of reading a file (in the tape
>sense) from a SCSI tape drive. Not interpreting the file at all, just being
>able to copy it to disk.

What sort of tape drive? If it's supported under Linux, and it probably is,
then 'dd' would certainly do it. I've got some very old utilities that
work with my Exabyte for DOS that might help, too. Even under NT,
the tape interface API is quite simple and there are 'dd' equivalents
that might be able to handle it.

- John