IIc vs IIc+

From: Sellam Ismail <dastar_at_ncal.verio.com>
Date: Fri Mar 5 13:51:22 1999

On Fri, 5 Mar 1999, Mike Ford wrote:

> >There never would have been any software specifically written for the
> >//c+. It was functionally equivalent to the //c, and the //e for that
> >matter.
>
> Except I think the IIc+ must have some additional something to changes
> modes; 40/80 column, cpu speeds, that sort of thing. It has a volume slider
> where the IIc has the 40/80 column switch.

The 40/80 button on the //c was like a belly button. It looked cute but
really didn't do anything useful. It was up to the software to read the
state of that button (which was mapped to I believe one of the annunciator
or TTL input addresses that are accessible on the ][, ][+ and //e I/O
(internal joystick) port) and then switch accordingly to either 40 or 80
columns. I can't remember one program that actually did anything with
this stupid button (I think I may have used one program at some point that
reacted in realtime to this button; also I think ProDOS would boot into
either 40 or 80 columns depending on the setting).

An address to adjust the CPU speed would be the only new feature on a
//c+, and that was most likely mapped to a previously unused address
somewhere in the $C000 page memory map.

Sellam Alternate e-mail: dastar_at_siconic.com
Don't rub the lamp if you don't want the genie to come out.

                  Coming in 1999: Vintage Computer Festival 3.0
                   See http://www.vintage.org/vcf for details!
                        [Last web site update: 02/15/99]