The TI 34010

From: Jgzabol_at_aol.com <(Jgzabol_at_aol.com)>
Date: Sun Mar 7 05:42:39 1999

In einer eMail vom 06.03.99 22:42:56 MEZ, schreiben Sie:

<< > How does the 34010 do in handling bitmaps?

> The 34020 (and I believe the 34010 had that as well) deals with that
> through
> special bit-blit operations, bit-block-transfer and simultaneous
> logical/masking
> operations. This is much supported by VRAM hardware used at that time;
> the VRAM chips have bitblt features built in. The performance was
exactly

 Are you sure about that? Most VRAMs (certainly the ones in use when the
 34010 came out) seem to be nothing more than DRAMs with a second address
 port that transfers one row of data into a shift register. The bitstream
 from the S/R is fed to the video circuitry. No bit-blit operations.

 The 34010 has instructions for raster operations (bit-blits) using data
 anywhere in the address space, and they don't appear to depend on
 features of the RAMs used.

 -tony

There is in fact both: the processor can do it, but at least the VRAMs
I looked at have some provisions for (simple) versions of that. What is most
important is to use the bit-plane masking facilities inside the VRAMs - at
least those
generations I looked at, maybe that was later than 34010 times.
John