The new Amigas

From: Gareth Knight <gareth.knight2_at_which.net>
Date: Mon Mar 8 19:22:46 1999

Derek Peschel wrote:
>You're putting an entirely different slant on what I said. I was under the
>impression that the CD32 was a big failure. (Maybe I was thinking of the
>CDTV.) Besides, what you said is literally true -- if you except CD-ROM,
>then DVD-ROM IS novel. :)

Commodore going bust cut the CD32 down in its prime. In the UK it sold the
most CD-based software from the time of its release until around August
1994. Admittedly CD sales were not what they are now and it was up against
competitors such as the Mega CD, CDi, and PC-CD ROM.

>Maybe my lack of real Amiga experience has skewed my perspective. Maybe I
>should not post so late at night. :)

<PLUG>Hey! Visit my webpage for the complete guide to the Amiga. URL in the
sig.</PLUG>

>Except for the CD-32 and the CDTV (which IIRC were not that popular, at
>least the CDTV) I don't think the Amiga has been released on a set-top box
>configuration before.

It was not the first time such an idea was proposed for the Amiga. When
Escom bought the Amiga in 1995 they licensed the OS and chipset to an
American company called Viscorp (now known as US Digital). They hired a
number of Amiga personalities, including Carl Sassenrath, to create their
"Amiga ED" system. From what I have seen the machine was in a semi-complete
stage at the time of Escom's liquidation. There is a brief description of it
on my web site- http://www.onlyamiga.freeserve.co.uk/amigaed.html. I've also
got some interesting pictures of the machine in action that will be uploaded
sometime in the future.

Yesterday I mentioned the Siamese PCI card. I've just checked one of my
other email accounts and have been told that development has stalled. From
what I have heard Amiga Inc have stopped backing the project and there are
major concerns about the state of the "Classic" Amiga market (as always).
--
Gareth Knight
Amiga Interactive Guide | ICQ No. 24185856