YANU - uVax

From: Jerome Fine <jhfine_at_idirect.com>
Date: Mon Mar 8 21:35:41 1999

>Zane H. Healy wrote:

> Great Explanation! cut to save bandwidth.
> >The BA23 is almost identical, except that there are ONLY 3
> >A/B/C/D, and there are 5 more for a total of eight AND there
> >is a very different I/O distribution panel for RD5n.
> Unless it's a VAXstation II/RC that hasn't had the backplane replaced. The
> VAXstation II/RC thanks to a stupid marketing gimic has three slots filled
> in with Rosen. That leaves you with just enough slots for the CPU, Memory,
> disk and tape controller, video adapter, and Ethernet controller (I could
> swear I'm missing a controller here). I've pulled the video adapter and
> put an RL02 controller in mine.

Jerome Fine replies:

Thank you!

I believe the box you refer to is a standard BA23 that DEC "modified"
and many distributors purchased at about HALF the price of a normal uVAX II.
The idea was to get out a VAXstation II ASAP (later DEC had another model)
or so I was told.

It was ONE of the great design achievements by DEC. Many dealers promptly
bought as many as possible PLUS they ordered space backplanes for a real
uVAX II (hopefully not on the same order - most distributors were not that dumb).
About a half hour of time was needed to replace the backplanes filled with resin
with the ones that were not - 3 spare slots available - and there was no restriction
by DEC as to how the VAXstation II could be used!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I there anyone from DEC who could confirm this bit of trivia?

Sincerely yours,

Jerome Fine
RT-11/TSX-PLUS User/Addict