Scanning old manuals

From: Pete Turnbull <pete_at_dunnington.u-net.com>
Date: Tue Mar 9 12:14:19 1999

On Mar 9, 12:32, Stephen Dauphin wrote:

> I'd like to second this notion. Could those on this list, who are
> scanning for posterity, share their methods?
>
> What platform(s), what hardware(s), what software(s). Any intermediary
> format(s), final output format(s). Whatever it takes.

I, too, would appreciate thoughts on software/platform.

> [I note Jim Stricklan's reply came in while writing this. I have scanned
> down to newspaper legal notice size. Is this 6 point? It OCRed virtually
> identically at 200 or 300 dpi and the results were high 90%]

That's not what I'd call "high". That means that on average, you have to
correct or interpret every tenth character. I'd call less than 99% "low",
not high. Our Department looked at this a few years ago, and rejected
anything less than 95%, I think. Even that means correcting (or as one
person put it, "clicking on") one character in every twenty.

--
Pete						Peter Turnbull
						Dept. of Computer Science