Scanning old manuals

From: Eric Smith <eric_at_brouhaha.com>
Date: Wed Mar 10 18:32:47 1999

John Foust <jfoust_at_threedee.com> wrote:
> As for prices: my searches show Adobe Acrobat at $175-$220, depending on
> version, and Adobe Acrobat Capture at $550, and - shockingly -
> 20,000 page "upgrade packs" to extend the functionality of
> Capture, at $375. That's right - it's limited and pay-as-you-go.

No, no, no. "Acrobat Capture" is a product aimed at service bureaus to
do bulk conversion.

"Acrobat Exchange" (which will be renamed simply "Acrobat" starting with
the soon-to-be-released version 4.0) includes a "Capture Module" which
does OCR. You don't have to pay $550, and you don't have to buy refills.

I think the deal with "Acrobat Capture" is that it will directly control
high-end scanners and do thousands of pages in unattended batch mode.

They have deliberately crippled "Acrobat Exchange" to prevent its use
in that manner, buy allowing only page-at-a-time scanning, and by not
importing multi-page TIFF files. I get around that by scanning the
pages in a separate program, using a hacked version of PDFlib/imagepdf
to import the images into a PDF file, and then using Exchange only for the
OCR and Optimization.

> What about Adobe Circulate? From the product description at
> <http://www.adobe.com/prodindex/circulate/main.html>, it seems more
> appropriate to the task at hand, keeping the digital image as well
> as merging the OCR searchable text.

Which is exactly what I've been doing with Exchange. I'll have to read
about Circulate and find out what's different about it.

Eric