Help! Apple //c keyboard & whatnot...

From: Marvin <marvin_at_rain.org>
Date: Fri Mar 12 02:24:56 1999

SUPRDAVE_at_aol.com wrote:

> > Polythene and PTFE : not a hope. Almost nothing will stick them...

Not true. I don't recall the method for gluing PTFE, but hot air welding
will work with Polyethelyne (sp). I should say that hot air won't work as it
will oxidize the plastic, but using an inert gas in the process works well.
Air can be used though to weld polypro although IIRC a better joint is made
if an inert gas is used rather than air.

With teflon circuit boards, I used to use Tetraetch to etch the surface and
give it enough bite so that the copper in the plated-thru-holes would have
reasonable adhesion. I think a similar process was used for bonding PTFE
together but I don't recall anything more about the process.

> what's the best for ABS plastic? I've found nothing that can glue it back
> together with any strength, especially if it wasnt really a clean break or the
> plastic got a bit deformed at the breaking point.

I have heard that hot air welding also works with ABS although I have not
done any welding on ABS.