Planning for an equipment move...

From: Daniel T. Burrows <danburrows_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Sat Mar 13 17:17:26 1999

>Which means what I really want to know is how many vehicles currently on
>the market can handle at least a single H960?

My old 1/2 ton Chevy pickup has had in it a H960 (SA800 - 8 RA90's) 860 lbs
and 3 HSC50's, a star coupler, 2 TU80's all at once. I never said I was
legal weight but it took it. Yes I did avoid the scales. I found out how
heavy the SA800 was when I went to unload it. I had to half gut it to roll
it off the truck. Then I looked at the manual to find out it is 860 some
pounds. What a difference it was unloading it by myself than loading it
with a forklift. Initially I was going to put the second SA800 on the same
load but the first squatted the truck enough.

What model are the Diablo drives? I have some Diablo manuals from those
days and did some work on them back then. If they are Diablo 31 or 33's I
should still have the books to refresh the fading memory on locking the
heads etc.

I would check with some of the truck rental companies about the CDL
requirements in MA. Federal requirements are anything licensed over 26,000
lbs. or anything with air brakes require a CDL. I have had no problem
renting trucks with lift gates in any state so far.

One of the companies I have used and had very good luck with (very new
equipment and gentle suspension) is Idealease. All of their trucks have
lift gates that tuck under the truck. (important when dock loading) and
nice E channels for heavy duty straps. They also have wood floors which is
good for nailing pieces of 2x4's into at the base of racks and pieces that
you can't strap down. Some of their locations will not do one way rentals
however.

Dan