MiniScribe 3438 --- HELLLP!!!!

From: Scott McLauchlan <scott_at_isd.canberra.edu.au>
Date: Tue Mar 16 22:01:06 1999

Hello All,

At 08:06 PM 3/16/99 -0800, Jason Willgruber <roblwill_at_usaor.net> wrote:
>O.K. I found that. There's still the conflict of wether it is RLL or MFM,
>though. I guess I'll try it with the RLL controller that I have...

I thought there was no such thing as a MFM or RLL *drive*. I thought that
you only had MFM or RLL *controllers*. The important thing on the hard
drive was the *interface* (in the case of the MiniScribe 3438, a
ST412/ST506 interface).

I seem to have a dim memory of RLL controllers being sold as a way to
increase (double?) your disk space.

As I remember, RLL controllers were much more fussy about cable length and
media quality than MFM controllers, which meant that they didn't work all
that well with cheap hard drives.

Of course, I could be completely wrong...

Regards,

| Scott McLauchlan |"Sometimes the need to mess with their heads |
| Client Services Division| outweighs the millstone of humiliation." |
| University of Canberra |___________Fox_Mulder_"The_X-Files:_Squeeze"_|
|scott_at_cts.canberra.edu.au| http://www.canberra.edu.au/~scott/home.html |