Forwarded without comment ...

From: Jim Strickland <jim_at_calico.litterbox.com>
Date: Wed Mar 17 01:35:14 1999

> >From Edupage:
>
> COMING TO TERMS WITH BYTES
> Computer terminology is becoming more precise: the International
> Electrotechnical Commission, which creates standards for electronic
> technologies, is adopting new prefixes to describe data values. The new
> term "kibibyte" will more accurately describe the number of bytes in a
> kilobyte -- rather than being 1,000, as could be inferred by the prefix
> "kilo," a kilobyte actually has 1,024 (2 to the 10th power) bytes. The
> metric prefixes currently employed -- kilo, mega, giga, etc. --
> accumulate as a power of 10, rather than the binary system used in
> computer code. Thus, the Commission will use kibi, mebi, gibi, tebi ,
> pebi and exbi to express exponentially increasing binary multiples (2 to
> the 10th power, 2 to the 20th power, etc.). "There was a need to
> straighten this out," says Barry Taylor of the National Institute of
> Standards and Technology.
> (Science 12 Mar 99)

This IS a joke, right? I mean, these people wouldn't come up with something so
unpronouncable for real... right? I mean, it sounds like something off the
old Children's Television Workshop show "Zoom", where they had a "language"
very like pig latin consisting of adding "bi" to each english syllable.

--
Jim Strickland
jim_at_DIESPAMMERSCUMcalico.litterbox.com