MiniScribe 3438 --- HELLLP!!!!

From: Ward D. Griffiths III <gram_at_cnct.com>
Date: Wed Mar 17 09:10:31 1999

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Don Maslin wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Jason Willgruber wrote:
> > O.K. I found that. There's still the conflict of wether it is RLL or MFM,
> > though. I guess I'll try it with the RLL controller that I have...
>
> What's the question? The specs say it is RLL and 32mb. There was also a
> 3425 that had identical specs EXCEPT that it had 17 spt and 20mb and was
> MFM.
> > > INTERFACE ST412/ST506
> > > DATA ENCODING METHOD 2,7 RLL

The difference between MFM and RLL drives is like the difference
between single-sided and double-sided 5.25" 40 track diskettes.
Physically identical, but the higher capacity item has been
certified to function with the additional storage capacity. A
Seagate ST-225 and ST-238 (for example) differ only in the label.
An ST-225 on an RLL controller holds 30 Mbytes instead of 20, but
Seagate will not warrant that operation and if you lose data,
tough cookies. In the same way an ST-238 on an MFM controller
only formats out to 20 Mbytes.
--
Ward Griffiths
"the timid die just like the daring; and if you don't take the plunge then