Forwarded without comment ...

From: Derek Peschel <dpeschel_at_u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed Mar 17 09:42:01 1999

Bruce Lane wrote:

> That has got to be the DUMBest idea I've seen come along in years!
>
> Are we sure this isn't one of the (in)famous Urban Legends?

I'm pretty sure, since I've seen it debated in other places with a certain
amount of seriousness and zeal. It's not being made up just to torment
people -- it's a genuine proposal.

> I'm going to see if I can get in touch with NIST today to try and verify
> or disprove it. I agree with others -- it sounds like something straight
> out of a kid's nonsense vocabulary. Specifically, it sounds like something
> straight out of either 'Barney' or the 'Teletubbies.'

Let us know what you find out. I hope that "kilobyte" won't become one of
those words that instantly marks their users as classic-computer freaks.
I know jargon changes, but I don't want it to change in this case.

-- Derek