Forwarded without comment ...

From: Julian Richardson <JRichardson_at_softwright.co.uk>
Date: Wed Mar 17 11:23:51 1999

>> Well, here's a simple solution: anything suffixed with "byte", ie.
>> kilobyte, megabyte, gigabyte, terrabyte...is automatically a base-2 value.

well I thought that was the accepted standard anyway?? :)

has all of this not come about because of hard disk manufacturers
deciding at some point along the line to quote disk sizes in decimal
megabytes rather than actual megabytes in order to make their disks seem
to have a greater capacity compared to those of their rivals??

(ie. 200Mb = 209715200 bytes = 210 "decimal" megabytes)

cheers

Jules