Western Digital PASCAL microengine

From: John Ott <jott_at_mastif.ee.nd.edu>
Date: Fri Mar 19 07:19:28 1999

Hello -

I am interested in learning more about p-machines. Does anyone have
some references, faqs or web sites that would help?

Thanks.

john

> <Re:
> <> > 1979
> <> > First multi-user operating system CROMIX (UNIX derivative)
> <> >
> <> > First multi-user operating system...what? On a micro? Maybe.
> <>
> <> Even then, dubious. When did OS-9 come out?
> <
> <IIRC, I was using a multiuser Alpha Micro (probably an AM 100)
> <in my apartment around June or July of 1978. It was based on the
> <Western Digital microengine, which emulated a DEC 11.
> <
> <Stan
>
> Lessee there are some points of order...
>
> Alpha Micro AM100 was a sorta LSI-11 in that it used the same chip set and
> was similar but not compatable in any way.
>
> The Western Digital PASCAL Microengine was a P-machine and operationally
> as well as programativcally very different from DEC PDP-11. It did however
> use the same chipset.
>
> The chipset is WD13 and it's functionality is determined by microms
> (microprogramming roms). Alpha micro was very close to the PDP-11 but
> far enough away to avoid copyright problems. The WD P-engine was oneof the
> few direct P-code executing systems (a stack machine).
>
> All very interesting machine as they were pushing the microcomputer envelope
> for the time.
>
> Allison

* John Ott                         *  Email: jott_at_saturn.ee.nd.edu     *
* Dept. Electrical Engineering     *                                  *
* 275 Fitzpatrick Hall             *                                  *
* University of Notre Dame         *  Phone: (219) 631-7752           *
* Notre Dame, IN 46556        USA  *                                  *