Apollo 400

From: Richard Erlacher <edick_at_idcomm.com>
Date: Fri Mar 19 12:06:47 1999

You're right of course, but many people buy junked workstations just to get
the high-resolution monitor, and then find that a video card completely
suitable for the job costs more than a suitable monitor would have cost. I
once tried this and found that the 15" (a BIG one by 1988 standards) APOLLO
monitor I had was VERY well focused and VERY linear, but would work only at
1024x768 as a second monitor. Back then Windows wasn't available in a form
that was of any use, but my CAE software had drivers which would exploit the
higher resolution and allowed me to present 1:1 images of my drawings as
sharp and clear images as opposed to the rather disappointing ones I got
with the normal 640x400 images I was then used to.

While these "retired" workstations are tempting, their sheer mass makes them
forbidding, unless one considers the possibility of using the monitor as a
high-res display for whatever purpose one desires. I found that a 1/8-watt
resistor and a switch mounted on the backpanel bracket was not too much
effort or expense to warrant such an application.

Of course, back then, I had to pay over $1k for a NEC 4D, the equivalent of
which costs about $200 these days.

Nevertheless, this is a decent way to get some immediate benefit from the
act of recycling an old workstation while you work on the problems
associated with getting the workstation to work as a workstation once more.

Dick