My pdp-8 move this weekend...

From: Megan <mbg_at_world.std.com>
Date: Fri Mar 19 21:19:02 1999

Thanks to all those who made suggestions on how to do the move.

It turns out that the problem with lift gates has more to do with
the fact that both Ryder and Budget (and I'm sure other places
which rent vehicles) have separated their 'consumer' and 'commercial'
truck rental groups. I found that although it is possible to find
a truck with a lift-gate in the consumer division, they aren't
generally where you want them to be (I'm in framingham, MA, and
the closest one they could find was south boston... and at $.39
a mile for Ryder, that would add up quickly). The commercial
division is where you would find the lift-gates, but they would
be on larger trucks (>24ft) with air brakes, etc... things which
would require CDL...

So, that is out. The only thing I could find was a 15' long
7' high truck with a ramp... I got dollies, so I'll be able to
roll things into the truck. I'm getting moving pads to protect
everything.

I'm going to take tools to dismantle things, rope to tie things
down, and a digital camera to take pictures of cabling and/or
locations of things so I can restore them at my place.

Now, the only problem I've got is that the person who had offered
to help in the move is sick and can't help, so unless I can find
someone to help, I'll be wrangling this stuff alone at my place.

If there is anyone in the framingham, ma (sudbury, natick, marlboro,
maynard, etc) area who might be able to help, it would be much
appreciated. Meal/snacks are on me...

Please write to me off-line any time between now and about 9am
tomorrow... Thanks in advance to anyone who can help... Think
of the chance to handle some *real iron* (tm) :)

And look for pictures of the move in a few days on my web page...

                                        Megan Gentry
                                        Former RT-11 Developer

| Megan Gentry, EMT/B, PP-ASEL | Internet (work): gentry!zk3.dec.com |
| Unix Support Engineering Group | (home): mbg!world.std.com |
| Compaq Computer Corporation | addresses need '_at_' in place of '!' |
| 110 Spitbrook Rd. ZK03-2/T43 | URL: http://world.std.com/~mbg/ |
| Nashua, NH 03062 | "pdp-11 programmer - some assembler |
| (603) 884 1055 | required." - mbg |