LSI-11 question

From: Jerome Fine <jhfine_at_idirect.com>
Date: Fri Mar 19 22:21:44 1999

>Megan wrote:

> >This is annoying since my GT40 only has 16 Kbytes. Which brings up
> >several questions:
> <drool>... you have a GT40? I missed out on one years ago... I had
> it in my office, but couldn't get the signatures to take it home, and
> it ended up being lost in an office move... <sigh>

Jerome Fine replies:

What was a GT40? I was asked recently to comment on a system
which originally used a VT05 and then a VT52. I actually kept a
working VT52. What was a VT05? Or at least what were the
differences between a VT05 and a VT52?

Incidentally, get a VT103. The standard memory size is 256 KBytes
and if you re-wire the backplane, you can have all 4 MBytes.

> >1) What is the most recent release for which SB (or SJ?) will run
> > reasonably comfortably in 16 Kbytes?
> I would suggest that you have to go back to V4.0 of RT to even still
> have the VT11 support in the monitor...

As far as I know, the RT11SJ in V5.4G required about 4800 bytes
plus about 4100 bytes for the USR and something (about 500)
for the device driver. That would leave only about 6 KBytes for
the user job, probably not enough. Maybe the utilities are designed
to work without the USR being there all the time and RT11SJ might
work.

Also, as far as I know, the VT11 support was still present in V5.4G
of RT-11.

> >2) Can I buy that version from Mentec?
> I don't know how many releases they have in their library... but I
> also don't know if they would consider selling it...

Mentec has access to V5.3 of RT-11. Actually, everyone who wants
to run V5.3 of RT-11 under a hobby license with the Supnik emulator
can download V5.3 from gatekeeper. Megan Gentry made V5.3
available (or was very instrumental in doing so - thanks Megan)
some time ago. Do you want the URL?