Security question (sort of)

From: Allison J Parent <allisonp_at_world.std.com>
Date: Sat Mar 20 09:09:34 1999

<The serial ports are no longer recognized ANYWHERE - in the BIOS, in DOS, b
<MSD, Windows, anything. I have already re-installed Windows.
<
<A virus planted by a hacker can damage hardware by "eating" at the chips, o
<just scrambling the code in the chip. (I know someone (Ironically, it's th
<sister of the person that did this to my computer), who's keyboard
<controller chip got scrambled.

I don't believe people believe this.

Keyboards are cpu/rom based they are either good or dead.

While it's possible to scramble the CMOS and if the machine has it
Flashram you do need to work at it. the last time someone told be this I
was give a 1gb IDE drive that was "poisoned", turned out the MBR and noot
blocks had garbage (not even a virus) in them from a defective motherboard.
Reformat and tada it was good. Urban legend most of the time.

If W95 is still bootable then just hit the hardware install wizard and
have it look for the missing devices. make sure the CMOS setting do enable
the missing devices and also enables the PNP stuff ot the later w95 install
will never find it. FYI: a lot has to be there to boot w95.

What may have been done is the little dork went into the chipset features
or advanced features and turned off some stuff. The fix, turn them back on.

Oh, if the machine has flashram it likely came with a config disk to sort
things out. If it can boot it, it's recoverable.

Allison