Fw: Pre-history of Digital Research

From: Richard Erlacher <edick_at_idcomm.com>
Date: Sat Mar 20 10:01:32 1999

This web site is worth a visit. It seems to imply that as time allows,
they're going to publish documents on the web, and perhaps even produce more
of their old product line. These old computers still do what they always
did, and, frankly, as we move in the dircection of a PC with no expansion
slots inside the box, it does look like a return to "fiddle-able" hardware
of some sort is needed in order to cover the needs of the person who needs
to monitor ten switches and drive a dozen relays. Cards with which to do
this are all too rare, and I've seen lots of cases where one S-100 box with
the old IMSAI PIO-4 board would easily have done what I routinely see four
PC's doing through their printer ports.

Will this one web site lead to a resurrection of the "old days?" Well,
probably not, but there's certainly cause for thought.

Dick