Rebirth of IMSAI

From: Richard Erlacher <edick_at_idcomm.com>
Date: Mon Mar 22 18:10:35 1999

I'm not at all sure I'd let current generation programmers mess with MY
computer hardware. Thirty years ago, when programmers were not only the
people hunched over a teletype, but also the guys who jumpered the 026
keypunch and knew how to decipher what was on a tape which wouldn't deskew
properly, you could trust them to examine without damaging things. Over the
past 20 years, however, I've observed that programmers have less and less
concept of the reality of the computer in front of them or down the hall at
the end of the cable . . .

Such individuals would probably do damage, irreparable or otherwise, yet not
only fail to grasp that it could happen, but deny it when faced with
incontrovertible evidence of their sins.

I don't know whether it's better to protect the old hardware, or the
people's right to see it. I do know that I've observed perfectly
adult-looking individuals doing things to computer equipment not their own,
of which I would only accuse a child not tall enough to reach it.

just my nickel's worth . . . (inflation)

Dick