.DSK files.

From: Jerome Fine <jhfine_at_idirect.com>
Date: Mon Mar 22 23:32:38 1999

>John Lawson wrote:

> I am trying to use some DECUS tapes which I obtained; they exist
> on tape as one large file with extent .DSK .
>
> Any info on how I can get started unpacking thses files?
>
> Now that the 9trk works, that is.. :)
>
> Cheers and Thanks..

Jerome Fine replies:

If you can get those files onto a system which runs UNIX
and also download the Supnik emulator, then you can
also download the V5.3 of RT-11 from:

ftp://gatekeeper.dec.com/pub/digital/sim/software/rtv53swre.tar.Z

After you install everything, you will be able to legally run the
hobby version of the emulator and RT-11.

I would be interested in what is on the tape and maybe
it could be shared with Tim Shoppa who tries to keep
an archive of all PDP-11 software.

Is there some manner by which the 11/44 can communicate
with the internet? Or at least a PC (maybe via Kermit -
yes I realize that a serial port is VERY slow) to the 11/44
can do the job. If you have a 3 1/2" floppy or a 5 1/4"
RX50 floppy on the 11/44 and the files are small (very
often the *.DSK files on a tape were kept less than 800
blocks for this reason), you could transfer the files to a floppy
as a device and then use the floppy as an RT-11 device
under RSTS. If you would like some help, I might be
able to suggest things based on some additional information.
A directory of the *.DSK files giving the DATE and size in
blocks would help. Actually, a directory of the whole tape
might help even more.

Sincerely yours,

Jerome Fine
RT-11/TSX-PLUS User/Addict