AES 7100

From: Lawrence Walker <lwalker_at_mail.interlog.com>
Date: Tue Mar 30 13:23:15 1999

On 30 Mar 99 at 10:52, Sellam Ismail wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, Lawrence Walker wrote:
>
> > Another interesting company is Lanpar which was formed by a couple of Northern
> > Telecom ex-employees. Lotus basicly stole their product and based 123 on
> > their video processes.
> > There was no contest on this. Lotus had obviously done it . The suit against
> > Lotus however, was denied after 10 years of litigation, only on a
> > technicality in the registration of their original patent. I had one of their
> > terminals a while back but tossed it for lack of room. Now I regret it of
> > course.
> > Another beaver being gang-banged by the eagle ,donkey ,and elephant.
> > After so many years by the British bulldog, why not.
>
> Sure, but didn't Lanpar steal their idea from Visicorp anyway?
>
> Sellam Alternate e-mail: dastar_at_siconic.com

 It's been quite a while since I researched Lanpar, which was a combo of their
names. IIRC they were employed by Northern Telecom, the research and manu
arm of Bell Canada, at the time they came up with their hook and TMK it was
original. They quit N.T.to develop it and how they escaped NT's claim on the
idea of it's employees escapes me. They might have done better under the
corporate arm of Bell against the predations of Lotus. There are court
abstracts on the net but I can't remember the details. I think the Visicorp-
Lotus thing was another bag. The court case dragged on till a couple of years
ago, and by that time their patent was in any case outmoded.
 Interesting for anyone into the history of the development of comp video.

ciao larry

lwalker_at_interlog.com