PDP-11/34A rebuild project Was: Re: Post-move diary

From: Pete Turnbull <pete_at_dunnington.u-net.com>
Date: Tue Mar 30 19:28:20 1999

On Mar 30, 17:01, Megan wrote:
> Subject: Re: PDP-11/34A rebuild project Was: Re: Post-move diary
>
> >I believe you can put an MUD or SPC card in slot 5 if you don't have the
> >cache. I can't remember what happens if you don't have the FPU - either
> >slot 3 is also an SPC slot (I think that's the case) or you move
> >everything left one slot (Which I think is not the case).

Slot 3 is SPC; you *must* put the two main CPU cards in the rightmost two
slots.

> First step will be to remove everything from the backplane and
> vacuum it out...

When you've removed all the disintegrated
foam-that-used-to-be-front-panel-filter, you might want to replace it with
something less prone to aging. I found the synthetic fibrous filter
material sold for cooker hoods (over-the-stove extractor fans) works very
well, and you can tear it into half thickness for lighter duty.

--
Pete						Peter Turnbull
						Dept. of Computer Science