Help: root password for System V/i860

From: ss_at_allegro.com <(ss_at_allegro.com)>
Date: Tue Mar 30 20:55:18 1999

Re:

> >I just picked up an i860 box, which has System V on it ... and I don't
> >know the root password. If I interrupt the boot cycle at the start,

I'm still trying to figure this one out.

"boot" and "boot -s" and "boot -fubar" all get me to:

   mboot
   enter name of the kernel to boot:

(i.e., "boot" doesn't appear to have any parameters, or else it's
doing a darn bad job of parsing the input ... computers should
*always* complain about unused/extra input from a human on a
command line :)

So, in the "boot" dialog, if I hit <return>, it boots to "unix" (and
requires a regular login, which I can't do)

If I enter "unix -s", or "unix s" or "-s unix" or "unix -ss" or "fubar" , it
says:
   Boot: Cannot load XXX: file not opened
where "XXX" is whatever text I entered (e.g., "unix -ss" or "fubar")

If I can't get past this, I'll try mounting the hard drive on a Unix
machine somewhere, to see if I can find/edit /etc/passwd.

Stan