Z-80 M1?

From: Richard Erlacher <edick_at_idcomm.com>
Date: Wed Mar 31 08:47:31 1999

That's the signal which tells the world that the Z-80 is starting a new
instruction cycle and is currently fetching the opcode. It is also the
cycle during which the refresh occurs. The Z-80 asserts IOREQ* and M1*
concurrently in order to signal a vectored interrupt acknowledge is in
progress and that the peripheral should drive its interrupt vector address
onto the bus. Aside from this last functon, I've never seen any particular
need for a processor to let me in on the fact its opcode fetch cycle was in
progress. It is helpful, I guess, if you're hand-toggling a program into
the processor as it executes them, though that's not how it's usually done.

Dick