Classic color video

From: Bill Sudbrink <bill_at_chipware.com>
Date: Wed Mar 31 11:01:58 1999

I recently acquired, and now have up and running,
an OSI C4PMF. It has composite video output, 16
color. I have a mono composite monitor and the
display is OK, some of the colors show up as grays
(well, greens actually) but others show up in a
sort of flickering effect. Video signals is one
area in which my ignorance shines! I first tried
to plug it straight into the 'video in' RCA jack on
my color TV. It was trying to do something, but no
dice. Next I RTFM. Says I need an RF Modulator.
"I've got one of those" I think. I dig through my
box of Timex-Sinclairs (BTW has just about everybody
on this list, when they told their friends and family
that they were collecting old computers, been given
piles of TS-1000s?). I find one of those little
silver boxes and hook it up. One problem, the box
has the old 2-wire TV antenna cable on it, the TV
has coaxial antenna in, but I dig through my junk
box and find a converter. Switch the TV to channel 3
and... still no good. Pop the back off the little
silver box... it looks like it's just a switch. No
other components in the box except for a couple of
torids that the wire loops around. Is this box an
RF Modulator? Is there some simple circut I can build
from Radio Shack parts that would convert to (NTSC I
guess?) 'video in' on my TV.

Thanks,
Bill Sudbrink