Kits vs ready-made (was RE: Rebirth of IMSAI)

From: Richard Erlacher <edick_at_idcomm.com>
Date: Wed Mar 31 16:34:26 1999

Unfortunately, in today's climate ("NOTHING's MY fault!") people buy a kit
with the assumption that the seller will provide whatever expertise is
required to assemble it correctly. That was not the case 20 years back.
This kind of handholding is frustrating and costly.

A degree in engineering isn't sufficient qualification, either. Some of the
crappiest work I ever saw while in the aerospace industry, was by fairly
senior engineers. The excuse was that "it's not a deliverable," but often
the shoddy technique (air-wires, etc) made for problems which couldn't
readily be explained, but which didn't occur when a competent technician
built the same circuit.

Dick