Kits vs ready-made (was RE: Rebirth of IMSAI)

From: Allison J Parent <allisonp_at_world.std.com>
Date: Wed Mar 31 21:55:49 1999

<Well I'd probably stick the IC down to something, and use thicker wire
<(stander wire-wrap wire is quite good for this), but I really don't see
<the problem with doing this for experimental/prototype circuits, even
<ones that are going to be used. I've done it many times and it's never
<given any trouble.

This technique is called dead bug or ugly and is effective for RF work.
I've done entire protos using a peice of copper clad as a solderable
groundplane to "fly" things above and in a few cases the later PWB
production version didn't perform quite as well due to distributed
capacitances and inductances. However even dead bug still calls for
reasonably solid mechanical construction using other components or stiff
wire to secure things.

Allison