Bogosort (was: old threaded languages, was Re: Symbolics)

From: Jay West <west_at_tseinc.com>
Date: Wed Mar 1 20:33:08 2000

Someone wrote...
> Usually I first sort the new data and do a merge, which
> is essentially a single pass bubble sort.
> Dwight

I always favored the "n-way polyphase sort/merge". Others who were much more
mathematically inclined always told me it was prety much the best sorting
algorithm for truely random data of more than trivial size. I later
discovered that the Pick operating system (and the look-alikes like Prime
Information, UniVerse, UniData, Mentor, Ultimate, etc.) used the same
algorithm for their data SELECT statement. Well documented in several
places, but the best explanation was "Data Structures" by Reingold and
Hansen.

Jay