decayed capstan in Archive QIC

From: Richard Erlacher <edick_at_idcomm.com>
Date: Wed Mar 1 21:13:54 2000

Tough it can require some disassembly, another trick might be to apply
'SILASTIC' to the metal post which supports the roller and to which it's
fastened. It takes a bit more patience, but less force, and, once cured,
the 'SILASTIC' can be worked with a DREMEL tool to reduce its diameter or to
shape it as needed. I made a couple of these in a lathe and ground them
true and flat with a toolpost grinder. You can even make a capstan that
way, since the stuff is really quite hard when cured, yet more forgiving
than other materials often used in these drives.

Silastic is not particularly prone to creep or abrade and it's quite inert,
chemically. If the temperature varies much, there will be a bit of
dimensional change, so try to measure it when it's at nominally room
temperature.

Dick