Early Mac Clones

From: Mark Gregory <mgregory_at_vantageresearch.com>
Date: Thu Mar 2 14:05:18 2000

One notable emulator/clone they missed was the Amax by ReadySoft for the
Amiga. It was a slim grey box that contained sockets for the Mac 512K ROMs
(not included) and connected to the Amiga's parallel port (IIRC). It also
had a Mac floppy drive connector on the box, so you could attach Mac
drives. The early versions were very finicky about the Mac drives that were
used. Early 400K drives didn't work, and non-Apple 800K drives didn't work
either. When running, it could use all of the Amiga drives and common
peripherals (printers, modems, etc.)

I believe it was fairly successful - it went through at least 4 hardware
versions that I'm aware of, ending with the Amax IV.

I was an early purchaser, and I always enjoyed showing off my Amiga with
DeluxePaint II open in one window, WordPerfect for DOS in another window (I
had an XT bridgeboard), and the Mac desktop in a third window.
The best of all worlds, almost.

Cheers,
Mark.