Need help with big DEC haul in Oakland

From: Aaron Christopher Finney <af-list_at_wfi-inc.com>
Date: Sat Mar 4 14:57:14 2000

Here's the deal; I've been offered some PDP stuff in Oakland (details in
forwarded message below) and am trying to negotiate pickup. I'd originally
contacted the company searching for documentation on an obsolete product,
and got much, much more...

I'm in LA and the trip would be exceedingly difficult to arrange for
myself. Anyone in the Bay Area who is interested in anything he's got
and can give me a hand let me know; if worse comes to worse, I'll fly up
and ship it back.

Cheers,

Aaron

---------------Original Forwarded Message Below---------------------

Hi,

We have a fair amount of info on that board - I will see what I can dig up
and let you know.

Do you or your group have any interest in more LSI-11 related documents,
boards (CPUs, serial boards, disk controllers, etc) ST506 drives (36-200 MB)
etc? Also, a bunch of DEC blocks and PCBs (I think we still have those) for
building backplanes. We have quite a bit of this stuff lying around and I
haven't been abe to bring myself to throw it all away. New, of course, it
was worth a lot, but now it isn't worth anything except to the knowledgeable.

It would be a regular treasure trove. It's too bad - I have already gotten
rid of the BA11 boxes and things like that, but there are lots of boards,
drives, misc h/w, s/w, etc. Also, a really nice HP plotter, a Pacific Page
plotter, and a few goodies like that. A bunch of 300w power supplies that
are good for building machines up. Any - lots of surplus stuff that would be
appreciated by a group that needs such things.

If you want it, and would give it a good home (whatever that means), I would
be delighted to give it to you. Maybe somebody could drive a pickup up here
sometime and we can load it up. If you don't, but know someone who is a real
DEC '11 freak, please pass this mail on. I hate the idea of giving it to the
garbage man, but I need the space for other things.

At 09:20 PM 3/3/00 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I spoke with someone several months ago about possibly obtaining any
>information I possibly could on one of your obsolete products, the VRG-Q11
>q-bus display card for the PDP-11. The card has a 10-pin berg header on
>the top edge, to which was attached a single bnc-type connector.
>
>I'd be really interested in being able to do *something* with this card,
>and any information you could find on it at all would be very much
>appreciated, even if it was just a clue as to an appropriate display to
>use with it.
>
>Representing the San Gabriel Valley Classic Computer Enthusiasts group, I
>must say the the particular machine that this card is in is one of our
>most interesting pieces, and one of our biggest mysteries. It is a Plessey
>clone that is made up of entirely (cpu excluded) non-DEC modules. Imagine
>the fun we've had trying to dig up printsets for these cards!
>
>Either way, whether there's info available on it on some dusty shelf or
>not, I'd really appreciate hearing from you.
>
>Regards,
>
>Aaron Finney
>

>{=------------------------------------+------------------------------=}
>| Aaron Finney | Voice: 626-857-5599 x314 |
>| Manager, Information Systems | Fax: 626-857-0455 |
>| Western Field Investigations, Inc | Email: A_Finney_at_wfi-inc.com |

Victor Gold
Peritek Corp
5550 Redwood Road
Oakland, CA 94619