Informer terminal

From: Ethan Dicks <ethan_dicks_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Mar 6 14:26:36 2000

--- "McFadden, Mike" <mmcfadden_at_cmh.edu> wrote:
> I came across two terminals that look like they are portable. Labeled
> Informer model 207,

I have an Informer portable terminal. I can't verify the model number because
mine is in storage, but what _I_ have, emulates an IBM 3274 w/attached 3270.
You can also daisy-chain several of these terminals together and only the
first one acts as a terminal controller - the rest are dumb terminals.

I got mine at the Dayton Hamvention about ten years ago when lots of them
appeared at several booths simultaneously. It is _not_ an ASYNC ASCII
terminal.
It is _not_ VT100 compatible. It is a genuine IBM SNA PU Type 2. We used to
compare its behavior on an HP Line Analyzer to our own SNA product. It helped
us find a couple of bugs on our end during the BIND.

Theoretically, you could aquire the Linux SNA package and attempt to use it
there, but I know I'd have to have one compelling reason to try. If you
happen to need to dial up a 4331 or 4381 Mainframe, *this* is the tool.

-ethan

=====
Infinet has been sold. The domain goes away on 15 March.
See http://www.infinet.com/ for details.

Please update your address lists to reflect my new address:

  erd_at_iname.com