PDP emulation

From: Pete Turnbull <pete_at_dunnington.u-net.com>
Date: Mon Mar 6 15:01:15 2000

On Mar 6, 9:01, CLASSICCMP_at_trailing-edge.com wrote:
> >> I tried swapping my M8186 (11/23) for M8192 (11/73) but it doesn't
run.
> >> Maybe I need to rebuild the kernel (I've got an original
distribution, not
> >> one of the images from PUPS), but perhaps it would work with more
memory or
> >> by swapping RLV11 for RLV12.
>
> >Cpu doesn't run or doesn't run V7? The image I have only wants some
256k
> >of ram out of all teh installed ram. I get the impression it was
> >configured for an 11/34 or similar and that is mostly a 11/23 save for
the
> >11/23 mmu can go to 22 bits.

V7 doesn't run. More precisely, it boots and starts the kernel but it
immediately panics. I can't remember what the message was; it's a long
time since I tried it.

> The V6 and V7 images currently available have device drivers that
> were built for Unibus systems. They expect a Unibus Map to be present
> for accessing memory above 256Kbytes (many of the drivers were built to
> always expect a Unibus map). The "safe" thing to do on a Q-bus system
> (or an emulated Q-bus system, like Supnik's emulator) is to run with
256Kbytes
> or less.

It probably isn't memory, then. It's probably down to something (maybe a
driver) that checks for something like the presence of a register, finds it
on my 11/73, and makes an erroneous assumption. V7 predates the 11/73 by
quite a way, so that wouldn't be too surprising.

--
Pete						Peter Turnbull
						Dept. of Computer Science