VCF Europa Update

From: Richard Erlacher <edick_at_idcomm.com>
Date: Wed Mar 8 00:01:28 2000

Don't feel bad about your inability to speak German after only a few years'
formal education. Nowadays, American students aren't even taught enough
about their own language, a version of English, that they can read a few
paragraphs and understand what it was about, nor can they write more than a
paragraph about a single subject, before the "stream of consciousnes" takes
over and all purpose is lost.

I have two boys in their first few years of "higher" education and, having
met some of the people now entrusted with passing along an "education" to
them and others, I find them sadly lacking. They speak badly, read little
and fail miserably to express themselves succinctly and coherently in
writing. Current generation textbooks are showing the decline of the spoken
language here.

Sadly, the average German 15-year old not only speaks better German than our
average 35-year-old speaks english, but he speaks better English than that
same 35-year-old. Fifteen years ago, the average American had sufficient
command of English that he routinely used on the order of a hundred words to
express himself. Today's average is closer to 35 words. No wonder nobody
knows what's being said!

If you're making an honest effort in Europe, people will put up with your
deificiencies. If you expect them to speak your language, you're in for a
hard time.

Dick