languages

From: Hans Franke <Hans.Franke_at_mch20.sbs.de>
Date: Thu Mar 9 13:22:15 2000

> The notion of Ebonyx was their way to "throw-in-the-towel" (for those
> unfamiliar with U.S. boxing industry practice, this is a signal of
> surrender.)

Well, throw-in-the-towel is known (at least the acording
phrase is in wide use in Germany - just most don't know
the orgin), but what is Ebonyx ?

And, Jim, for the Grammer ting, don't forget that English
is a bastard based on (at least) 5 languages from 3 different
language families (No Offense Ment).

And for the Computer part: I remember people during the
70's dreaming of real world computer languages, where
a computer language may evolve not only into a tool for
programming, but also able to be used as (somewhat simple)
human language. And now we have C - isn't C a bit like the
stuff we are talking about - the lowest common denominator
of programming languages at all ?

Serious, ain't we are going exactly the same way with
programming languages as with real ones ? Just instead
of centuries, it took only some dozend years to go from
Machine code (grunting sounds) to ADA (Goethes Poems)
and only less than 10 years to fall back to C ?

Gruss
H.

--
VCF Europa am 29./30. April 2000 in Muenchen
http://www.vintage.org/vcfe