languages

From: Jim Strickland <jim_at_calico.litterbox.com>
Date: Thu Mar 9 15:07:04 2000

> <several discussions of America's educational system snipped>
> ....So that's why we home-school, which pretty much sums up *my* opinion.
> Hmm... what's the ideal home-schooling computer? I want the kids to
> own the computer, be able to learn languages (Pascal, C++, Forth, open to
> suggestions, as well as Japanese, Russian, etc.), be able to do science
> projects with it, be able to word-process but not necessarily spell-check,
> be able to run good educational software. I'm already biased towards a Mac
> Plus (and own one), but certainly ready for suggestions. NeXT? MicroVax
> 3100? Cost, hardware and software, is a factor, of course.
> I'm *hoping* this is an on-topic question, in as much as classic
> computers are cheaper and simpler but demand more of the user to make work
> properly and therefore make better learning tools than current machines; if
> the answer is a new wintel box or a new iBook, I'd still like to hear it
> but I'd like to hear it off-list. TIA,
> - Mark

Well, I learned 90% of my computer science on a vax, so I tend to be biased
toward VMS and vax pascal, but realistically I think I'd build a linux box
and get the manuals for the various languages. I'd go with Pascal, C, and
Lisp for languages, I think. Maybe BASIC if the children were pre-teens.
It's easier for beginners to follow program flow when they have line numbers,
IMHO.

--
Jim Strickland
jim_at_DIESPAMMERSCUMcalico.litterbox.com