was :-( , now :-) Re: PDP-11/05 with RX02 :-(

From: John B <dylanb_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu Mar 9 16:07:42 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Duell <ard_at_p850ug1.demon.co.uk>
To: classiccmp_at_classiccmp.org <classiccmp_at_classiccmp.org>
Date: Thursday, March 09, 2000 2:54 PM
Subject: Re: PDP-11/05 with RX02 :-(

>> I can't find my book on the M8256 (RX211) so I don't know if the switches
>> are set right.
>>
>> I have a PDP-11/05 here that works fine and boots up RT11 or XXDP on an
RX01
>> with an RX11. When I replace the RX01 system with an RX211 and an RX02
and
>> try and boot RT11 the CPU hangs up at:
>>
>> 173546 , run light on. Requires a full reset to clear.
>>
>> I have tried other RX211s, RX02s, and cables and the same problem occurs.
>>
>> The disk is being accessed for a little while (4 or 5 "clicks") and
dies....

>A few quick things to check :
>
>1) You are trying to boot an RX02 version of RT11, not an RX01. While the
>RX02 can read/write RX01 disks, the RX211 and RX11 need rather different
>software to drive them, so an RX02 can't _boot_ a bootable RX01 disk.

I know. I was trying RX02 RT11v4. BL

>2) You've got the DIP switch in the RX02 (on the upper, controller,
>board) set correctly. I'm pretty sure that how to set this is on the web
>somewhere, but if you can't find anything (and nobody else beats me to
>it), I'll try to find the fine manual.

I guess so. The RX02s are from LSI systems.

>3) The RX211 is a DMA (NPR) device.

You just said the magic words! I have never been blessed with a RX211 before
(always big drives or RX01s). Many thanks for saving me hours of going
through boxes to find out it was a NPR device. Thanks again.

<very happy PDP-11/05 systems now>

john

PDP-8 and other rare mini computers

http://www.pdp8.com