languages (Ebonics)

From: Richard Erlacher <edick_at_idcomm.com>
Date: Thu Mar 9 20:21:38 2000

There are a few characteristics, not necessarily ones of which the Black
community is proud, which certainly are traceable to one-time African tribal
culture. A few moments with a stack of police blotters will show that
there's a really noticeable tendency among Hispanics to "burgle" outside
their own community, while it appears quite common that a Black man will
steal his neighbor's TV-set, only to invite the victim and his family to
come over to watch the game at his house.

I've read/heard that this is traceable to ancient and still-practiced custom
in various west African cultures. However, I'd not recommend doing that in
THIS society. That tendency to ignore the realities of life within the
present culture, both legal and ethnic, is purported to have arisen as a
defense against burglary charges on more than one occasion.

Dick