languages

From: Richard Erlacher <edick_at_idcomm.com>
Date: Thu Mar 9 20:33:17 2000

You're right in that the dictionary has the task of letting everyone know
how the language IS spoken. It's also the schools' job to teach the kids in
school how people DO speak, so they can do so well enough to hold their own,
rather than having to be supported by the government.

I believe this last part has been largely forgotten.

Studies have shown that average graduates from high schools throughout the
U.S. are quite incapable of reading a descriptive article and concluding
even the basics about what was written. Unfortunately, it is not fair to
expect these same graduates to write better than they can read and
comprehend.

There's why our system is failing. I can't hand a young college graduate a
data book and expect him to figure out what a given device does and how it
does it. Consequently, I can't use current graduates at all.

Dick