The C programming language

From: Geoff Roberts <geoffrob_at_stmarks.pp.catholic.edu.au>
Date: Fri Mar 10 02:07:50 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: <Glenatacme_at_aol.com>
To: <classiccmp_at_classiccmp.org>
Sent: Friday, March 10, 2000 3:51 PM
Subject: Re: The C programming language

> In a message dated 03/09/2000 3:19:11 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> Hans.Franke_at_mch20.sbs.de writes:
>
> > I wouldn't consider C as anything 'grown'. maybe evolved in the
> > sense of degeneration.
>
> Hey, Hans, I don't get this. C is the most versatile, flexible, and
portable
> language ever devised. It permits complete control of hardware while at
the
> same time allowing elegance in program design and structure.

You forgot to add "and is perfectly comprehensible to anyone with long
experience in
assembly language or machine code." That's it's big problem. I can look at
something in
Turbo Pascal and make sense of it. It even made some sense to me before I
read the
manuals. I was able (and still do occasionally) write useful stuff in it.
I'm still trying to
figure out C, it seems nearly impossible to learn without someone
knowledgeable to teach
you. It may be powerful, but if that's the only consideration, assembler
is even
more powerful. I don't have any Uni level CS under my belt, and that seems
to be what's
needed to comprehend it.

Cheers

Geoff Roberts